With the pending exit from the European Union on the 31st January 2020, we at the International Logistics Centre want to make our customers aware of the changes to exporting and importing to and from the UK. The below points out additional documentation and information that will be required. We ask that our customers begin to adopt these rules and requirements now so it is not a sudden change come the 31st January 2020.
From the 31st January 2020 all exports and imports to and from the UK, Europe and Republic of Ireland will require full customs clearance through the HMRC. In order to do this we must have a sales invoice between yourself and your customer / yourselves and the buyer. The invoice must show the full address of the shipper and their EORI number, Full address of the consignee with any contact details, recognised HS tariff code and value of the goods that are being exported or imported.
The HMRC are currently submitting EORI (Economic Operator Registration and Identification) numbers to all businesses that have exported or imported goods in the past. If you have not yet been contacted or unsure if you need one please follow the link. www.gov.uk/eori
We would like to reiterate the importance of ensuring the steps you take, if you have not already done so.
- Register for a UK EORI number
- Decide if you will handle Customs and Safety and Security Declarations, on the UK side, in-house or via a 3rd party agent
- Ensure your EU buyers / sellers have appointed their own Customs Agent to handle Customs and Safety and Security Declarations on the EU side
- Check if a licence(s) is needed to import or export your goods
- Consider obtaining a Duty Deferment Account, access to a Duty Deferment Account will be needed if either of the Simplified Procedures are to be used
- Please remember that is it the responsibility of exporters and importers to provide all the necessary AND correct data for the completion of the customs declarations
There is also more information of what you should be doing in preparation in the below links.
If you have any questions or need and further help or advise, please contact us.